Education & Employment
We are dedicated to ensuring the safety, welfare and motivation of our employees.
Our success is dependent on our workforce. Specialised skills training, paying a fair wage and employment of Tanzanian nationals are just some of the measures we are committed to so as to ensure the wellbeing of our employees. Our practices are in full compliance with International Labour Organisation standards (ILO) standards and our health and safety policies go above and beyond the standards set by the
Occupational Health and Safety Authority Act. A number of mine sites also provide a range of facilities for their employees and their families such as schools, interest-free loans for low-cost housing and medical insurance.
Our efforts to promote education and best practice employment include:
- Paying our employees fairly.
- Offering specialised skills training to further strengthen the future employment prospects of our staff.
- Establishing robust health and safety policies that go above and beyond the standards set by the Occupational Health and Safety Authority Act.
- Ensuring that the average percentage of Tanzanian employees among TCME members is high, currently it stands at over 95%, and that our members give priority to local applicant where comparable candidates are available.
- Support of employee’s rights to trade union membership
- Member support for CSI programmes to diversify economy and foster alternative livelihoods outside of mining.
- Adherence to a robust non-discrimination policy.
- Support to ensure the area surrounding the mine site is family friendly with some mine sites constructing schools, low-cost housing and health care centres for employees and their families.